Monday, February 13, 2006

Bah, out of order--trying to catch up.

J/Discuss your experience with writing. How do you understand yourself as a writer? What are your strengths and weaknesses? What are your writing techniques/process (i.e. Do you do any prewriting? Are you are compulsive drafter? Do you wait until the last minute? Do you use paper or a computer to compose? Do you follow any formulas for writing?)

I love to write. To be more specific, I love to write creatively. Playing with my words is my specialty. I love the subtle turns and twists of phrase that can take place in a sentence, from bold oxymoron and outrageous hyperbole to puns and other subtle plays on words. I am a huge fan of linguistic gymnastics, the sounds of fun sentences, when you get a nice beat going, a rhythm to the words, alliterative, assonant, consonant, and the look of a well formed sentence, when the shapes of the words worm their way into the reader’s head. Poetry is a love of mine, and though I don’t write it well, I love rhyme.
My biggest love is writing fiction. I’ve spent so much time reading fantasy and science fiction, that I love trying my hand at it. Most of what I’ve done consists of several openings, initial attempts at long works, paused mid-genesis, a chapter or so of new and fantastic ideas. The largest work I’ve finished thus far is a 300 page fantasy novel. However, in keeping with my current block about finishing things through, it is the first part of a larger work, a self-contained “part one” to something that would be a trilogy at the very least.
My creative works are spontaneous—which is, perhaps, their downfall. My downfall, really. I write as far as my creativity/spontaneity carries me, and then reach a block. I imagine that advanced planning, plotting the flow of a story, beginning, middle, and end would help to keep it moving, but doing so kills my initiative to write it, and I can feel my creativity and desire to write draining away as I plan.
A similar effect occurs when I write a paper. Should I plan in advance, I can formulate an immense battle plan, a thorough description of what goes where and the sequential facts that follow one another, like troops onto a field. However, once that it done, once the plans are in place, the battle falls through. My words are uninspired, flacid, bland. The paper becomes less of a thing to read, and more a dull sheet of paper with words. I gain no enjoyment from writing it and talks with professors has shown that there is no pleasure in reading it. However, a spontaneous paper is usually far more fun to write, as I dive in, head first, plunging forward with no more than a vague idea in my head, a barely lucid impression of purpose. These are more enjoyable to write, and comments from professors reveal that they are at least marginally pleasant to read. The problem with this approach, however, is that to take the plunge, inspiration is required. I need the desire to begin writing, to care about it. And, unfortunately, if that does not come soon enough, Last Minute Panic serves as a rather desperate substitute.

J/ Describe your expectations for this class. What do you expect this class to be? What is influencing your perceptions of this class? What do you want to leave this class knowing? What are your goals for the class? What are you looking forward to in the class? What are you nervous about? What is the most important change you want to see in yourself of your writing that you think this course could foster?

I would enjoy learning about new writing techniques from this class. Specifically, I’d enjoy learning a few new ways to write, to get inspired, to get up an go. I want to learn how to WANT to write a paper without the threat of a low or no grade as my only driving force.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?